Holiday Season Fire Prevention
Thanksgiving and Christmas are rapidly approaching and for most, the kitchen is the heart of the home, especially during the holidays. From testing family recipes to decorating cakes and cookies, everyone enjoys being part of the preparations. So keeping fire safety top of mind in the kitchen during this joyous but hectic time is important, especially when there’s a lot of activity and people at home. As you start preparing your holiday schedule and organizing that large feast, remember, by following a few simple safety tips you can enjoy time with your loved ones and keep yourself and your family safer from fire.
Thanksgiving is a peak holiday for cooking fires, and the fire department responds to four times the amount of fires compared to every other day. One of the main contributors to this fire increase is leaving the kitchen while food is still cooking. Therefore, leaving the food unattended and able to cause more damage faster. The second leading factor is cooking equipment, so please be sure to make sure you are using the correct cooking utensils.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Thank you to NFPA for safety tips.
SERVPRO of Laurel wants to be sure you are aware on how to prevent these unfortunate situations, but if a fire were to happen we are there for you 24/7 even on holidays. Of course, always making it like it never even happened.